By William Pearce
In 1938, the Lockheed Corporation in Burbank, California began design work on a large commercial airliner intended to outperform other transports then in service. Initially known as the Model 44 Excalibur, the aircraft’s design changed as feedback provided by Pan American Airways was evaluated. In 1939, Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) approached Lockheed in search of an aircraft with performance superior to that of the planned Model 44. Lockheed decided to redesign its airliner based on TWA’s requirements, and the new design became the Model 049 Constellation (originally Model 49 and known as Excalibur A).
The Model 049 Constellation was an all-metal, low-wing aircraft with tricycle landing gear. The airliner was powered by four 2,200 hp (1,641 kW) Wright R-3350 engines and carried 60 passengers in its pressurized cabin. The Model 049 had a 123 ft (37.5 m) wingspan and was 95 ft 2 in (29.0 m) long and 23 ft 8 in (7.2 m) tall. The aircraft’s tail had three vertical stabilizers with rudders to keep the aircraft’s overall height down so that it would fit in TWA’s existing hangars. The Model 049 had a top speed of 329 mph (529 km/h) at sea level, a cruising speed of 275 mph (443 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,096 m), an initial climb rate of 1,620 fpm (8.2 m/s), and a range of 2,290 miles (3,685 km) with a maximum payload of 18,400 lb (8,346 kg). The aircraft had an empty weight of 55,345 lb (25,104 kg) and a maximum weight of 86,250 lb (39,122 kg).
In 1940, the design of the Model 049 was mostly finalized, and three airlines had placed orders for a total of 84 aircraft (30 of these were long-range Model 349s). In May 1941, the United States Army Air Corps ordered 180 Model 349s to be used as transports. Lockheed tooled-up for aircraft production, and construction of the first Model 049 was underway when the United States entered World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. With the United States at war, production priorities shifted, and all of the aircraft intended for the airlines would be completed as C-69s, the military designation for the Model 049/349.
The C-69 received a low priority compared to Lockheed’s other commitments, and the prototype made its first flight on 9 January 1943. Only 15 C-69s were completed by the end of the war. After the war, Lockheed again focused on the Constellation for airline use, and new orders were received. In May 1945, Lockheed made use of new 2,500 hp (1,864 kW) R-3350 engines and designed the Model 649 and the Model 749, which had increased range. The United States Air Force also used the Model 749 as the C-121A. The Model 749 had a top speed of 358 mph (576 km/h) at 19,200 ft (5,852 m), a cruising speed of 304 mph (489 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,096 m), an initial climb rate of 1,280 fpm (6.5 m/s), and a range of 1,760 miles (2,834 km) with a payload of 16,300 lb (7,394 kg). The aircraft had an empty weight of 58,970 lb (26,748 kg) and a maximum weight of 107,000 lb (48,534 kg).
In late 1949, Lockheed investigated ways to improve the Constellation’s performance and keep the aircraft on the frontline of airline service. The result was the Model 1049 Super Constellation, which had two new fuselage sections added that increased the aircraft’s length by 18 ft 5 in (5.6 m). In addition, 2,700 hp (2,013 kW) R-3350 engines were installed, and the height of the vertical stabilizers was increased by 1 ft 3 in (.38 m). The aircraft could accommodate up to 92 passengers. The Model 1049 was 113 ft 7 in (34.6 m) long, 24 ft 9 in (7.6 m) tall, had a top speed of 338 mph (544 km/h) at sea level, a cruising speed of 302 mph (485 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,096 m), an initial climb rate of 1,100 fpm (5.6 m/s), and a range of 2,880 miles (4,635 km) with a payload of 18,800 lb (8,528 kg). The aircraft had an empty weight of 69,210 lb (31,393 kg) and a maximum weight of 120,000 lb (54,431 kg). The Model 1049 made its first flight on 13 October 1950. The Model 1049B was a military transport version of the Super Constellation, designated R7V-1 (originally R7O-1) for the US Navy and C-121C for the US Air Force.
From the start of the Model 1049’s design, Lockheed had envisioned using 3,250 hp (2,424 kW) R-3350 Turbo Compound (TC) engines, which used three power recovery turbines to harness energy from the exhaust and feed it back to the crankshaft via fluid couplings. However, Wright’s development of the engine lagged behind that of the aircraft. The R-3350 TC engines were first incorporated into the Model 1049C, which made its first flight on 17 February 1953. The pinnacle of the Super Constellations was the Model 1049G, powered by 3,400 hp (2,535 kW) R-3350 TC engines. The aircraft made its first flight on 7 December 1954. The Model 1049G had a top speed of 370 mph (595 km/h) at 20,000 (6,096 m), a cruising speed of 310 mph (499 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,096 m), an initial climb rate of 1,165 fpm (5.9 m/s), and a range of 4,165 miles (6,704 km) with a payload of 18,300 lb (8,301 kg). The aircraft had an empty weight of 73,016 lb (33,120 kg) and a maximum weight of 137,500 lb (62,369 kg).
The US Navy had been instrumental in supporting Wright’s development of the turbo compound engine, but in the early 1950s, the turboprop engine was making its way onto the aviation scene. In June 1950, Lockheed considered a turboprop-powered Super Constellation airliner as the Model 1149, but the design did not procced. In November 1951, Lockheed proposed to the Navy a turboprop R7V-1 (Model 1049B) powered by Pratt & Whitney T34 turboprop engines. The Navy was interested, and Lockheed proceeded with design work on the turboprop Super Constellation as the Model 1249. The Navy ultimately amended its R7V-1 order to include two airframes converted to turboprop-power. These aircraft were designated R7V-2 by the Navy and carried the Lockheed serial numbers 4131 and 4132 and the Navy BuNos 131630 and 131631.
Two additional airframes were ordered in May 1953. They carried the Lockheed serial numbers 4161 and 4162 and Navy BuNos 131660 and 131661. In October 1953, BuNos 131660 and 131661 were slated to be completed as YC-121Fs for the Air Force and were also assigned Air Force serial numbers 53-8157 and 53-8158. The YC-121F was the Lockheed Model 1249A. Since the order originated with the Navy, all four turboprop Super Constellations carried the Navy designation R7V-2, with the last two also assigned the Air Force designation. All four aircraft were purely intended to test the serviceability of the turboprop engine.
The Model 1249 was based on the Model 1049B, with a modified wing and new engines. The R-3350-powered Constellations had the engine nacelle’s centerline mounted below the wing. The Model 1249 had the engine nacelle’s centerline mounted above the wing, and the nacelle extended back to the wing’s trailing edge. Exhaust from the turboprop engine was expelled from the back of the nacelle and generated thrust. The Model 1249 could also accommodate removable 600 US gallon (500 Imp gal / 2,271 L) wingtip tanks that were first installed on Navy Super Constellations and later used by airlines. Additional fuselage fuel tanks were fitted, and the landing gear was strengthened.
The T34 turboprop was an axial-flow engine that consisted of a 13-stage compressor powered by a three-stage turbine. Sources indicate that the R7V-2s for the Navy used T34-P-12 engines, while the YC-121Fs for the Air Force used T34-P-6 engines. The T34-P-12 produced 5,005 shp (3,732 kW) and 1,360 lbf (6.05 kN) of thrust, for a total of 5,550 eshp (4,139 kW) at 11,000 rpm for takeoff power. Continuous power for the T34-P-12 was 4,210 shp (3,139 kW) and 1,165 lbf (5.18 kN) of thrust, for a total of 4,675 eshp (3,486 kW) at 10,500 rpm.
The T34-P-6 produced 5,500 shp (4,101 kW) and 1,250 lbf (5.56 kN) of thrust, for a total of 6,000 eshp (4,474 kW) at 11,000 rpm for takeoff power. Continuous power for the T34-P-6 was 4,750 shp (3,542 kW) and 1,125 lbf (5.57 kN) of thrust, for a total of 5,200 eshp (3,878 kW) at 10,750 rpm. Each engine turned a three-blade Hamilton Standard A-3470 propeller at .0909 engine speed. The propeller was 15 ft in (4.57 m) diameter, and each blade was 24 in (610 mm) wide.
The Model 1249 had a 117 ft (35.7 m) wingspan without wingtip fuel tanks and a 119 ft (36.3 m) wingspan with wingtip fuel tanks. The aircraft was 116 ft 2 in (35.4 m) long and 25 ft 6 in tall (7.8 m). The Model 1249 had a top speed of 444 mph (715 km/h) at 15,000 ft (4,572 m) and could maintain 420 mph (676 km/h) at 25,000 ft (7,620 m). The aircraft had an initial climb rate of 4,600 fpm (23.4 m/s) at maximum power and 2,310 fpm (11.7 m/s) at normal power. The Model 1249’s ceiling was 32,900 ft (10,028 m) at maximum power and 26,400 ft (8,047 m) at normal power. The aircraft’s range was 2,230 miles (3,589 km) with a payload of 24,210 lb (10,981 kg), and it had an empty weight of 72,387 lb (32,834 kg) and a maximum weight of 148,540 lb (67,377 kg). The Model 1249 could accommodate 106 passengers and four crew members for short flights, 87 passengers and 15 crew members for long flights, or 35,500 lb (16,103 kg) of cargo. For medical evacuations, the aircraft could accommodate 73 litters, four attendants, and four crew members.
The Model 1249 / R7V-2, BuNo 131630, made its first flight on 1 September 1954. The aircraft was not initially fitted with the wingtip tanks, and it was accepted by the Navy on 10 September 1954. The second R7V-2 soon followed and was accepted by the Navy on 30 November 1954. The Navy put the R7V-2 aircraft through various tests. A top speed of 479 mph (771 km/h) was achieved in a slight dive, and the aircraft took off overweight at 166,400 lb (75,478 kg). However, the R7V-2’s career was short. In December 1956, and with just 109 total hours, BuNo 131630 was put into storage at Naval Air Station (NAS) Litchfield Park in Arizona. The aircraft was struck off charge in April 1959 and provided spare parts for other Constellations.
In late 1956, BuNo 131631 was loaned back to Lockheed as an engine testbed for the L-188 Electra airliner and later the P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft. At the time, BuNo 131631 had accumulated 120 hours of operation. Rohr Aircraft in Chula Vista, California removed the T34 engines and replaced them with Allison 501-D (T56) engines in new nacelles intended for the Electra. The 501-D produced 3,460 shp (2,580 kW) and 726 lbf (3.23 kN) of thrust, for a total of 3,750 eshp (2,796 kW) for takeoff power. The engines turned four-blade Aeroproducts 606 propellers that were 13 ft 6 in (4.11 m) in diameter. The modified aircraft was nicknamed ‘Elation,’ a combination of Electra and Constellation. Elation made its first flight in July 1957 and was used until July 1959 when it was damaged at Palmdale, California. With 882 hours, BuNo 131631 was delivered to NAS Litchfield Park. In May 1960, the aircraft was sold to California Airmotive. The fuselage and some other parts were used to rebuild 1049G Super Constellation N7121C, and the remainder was scrapped. N7121C went through various air cargo owners until it was scrapped in March 1968.
The Model 1249A / YC-121F, serial no 53-8157, made its first flight on 5 April 1955 and was accepted by the Air Force in July. The second aircraft, serial number 53-8158, took to the air in August 1955. Both YC-121Fs were assigned to the 1700th Test Squadron of the Military Air Transport Service, based at Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. In April 1956, a YC-121F set a point-to-point speed record, traveling the 1,445 miles (2,326 km) between Kelly, Texas and Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland in 2 hours 53 minutes, an average of 501.16 mph (806.54 km/h). Between 25 and 26 January 1957, another record was set flying from Long Beach, California to Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland. The 2,340-mile (3,766-km) route was covered in 4 hours 43 minutes at an average speed of 496.11 mph (798.41 km/h). Both record flights were most likely made by 53-8157.
In June 1957, 53-8158 was assigned to McClellan Air Force Base in Sacramento, California; 53-8157 followed a year later. In February 1959, the two YC-121Fs were placed in storage at Davis Montham Air Force Base in Tucson, Arizona. Both aircraft were sold to the Flying Tiger Line 1963. The fuselages of the two YC-121Fs were used with wings, engines, and tails from two 1049Gs and pressed into cargo transport service in 1963. In 1966, both aircraft were sold to North Slope Aviation Company in Alaska. Serial number 53-8158 (N174W) was written off in May 1970. Serial number 53-8157 (N173W) was sold to Aviation Specialties and written off in June 1973.
Along with the military versions, Lockheed had designed a turboprop Super Constellation airliner in 1952 designated as the Model 1249B. The aircraft was planned to have a maximum speed of 451 mph (726 km/h) and a maximum range of 4,125 miles (6,639 km). However, the 1249B was not pursued, and the L-188 Electra eventually took its place.
– The Lockheed Constellation by Peter J. Marson (2007)
– Lockheed Constellation by Curtiss K. Stringfellow and Peter M. Bowers (1992)
– Lockheed Aircraft since 1913 by René J. Francillon (1987)
– Lockheed C-121 Constellation by Steve Ginter (1983)
– Characteristics Summary YC-121F by US Air Force (1 April 1957)
– Lockheed Constellation by Dominique Breffort (2006)